Palliative care education and training collaborative
Since 2003, the Australian Government Department of Health (DoH) has funded Queensland University of Technology (QUT) to undertake the national coordination and project management of the Program of Experience in the Palliative Approach (PEPA) and implement the Palliative Care Curriculum for Undergraduates (PCC4U). In May 2015, the Department announced funding for a new Palliative Care Education and Training Collaborative (incorporating PEPA and PCC4U) to build on the achievements of these previous initiatives.
The project takes a collaborative, whole-of-workforce approach to building the capability and capacity of the health workforce to provide quality palliative care to all Australians. The specific activities for the Collaborative focus on three broad areas:
- Delivery of Education and Training programs: Delivery of programs for priority health care provider groups across primary, secondary and tertiary settings through the Program of Experience in the Palliative Approach (PEPA).
- Capacity Building: Strengthening integration of palliative care curriculum resources in all university courses that prepare health care providers for entry to practice, through the Palliative Care Curriculum for Undergraduates Project (PCC4U).
- Collaboration with CareSearch (the national online palliative care knowledge network) to maintain an education hub built around the newly-developed Palliative Care Workforce Development Pathway.
About the Program of Experience in the Palliative Approach
The Program of Experience in the Palliative Approach aims to enhance the capacity of health professionals to deliver a palliative approach to care, through their participation in either clinical placements in specialist palliative care services or interactive workshops. PEPA provides opportunities for health professionals to develop confidence, knowledge and skills in the palliative approach to care through:
- funded clinical workforce placements or workshops
- integration of learning into your workplace
- establishing networks of support.
For more information visit www.pepaeducation.com
There are sections designed specifically for health professionals and others for patients, for carers, and for family and friends. All material in the website has been checked for quality by Australian health professionals. Pages can be read online or they can be printed and read later. www.caresearch.com.au/Caresearch/Default.aspx